Friday, August 17, 2007

Disneyland in Your Soul

Thanks to mwaybob's comment about Disneyland getting into your soul, I find myself with something to chatter about this fine Friday morning.

Disneyland does get into your soul. When I first thought about this, I wondered if it had to do with going as a child vs. not going as a child. I was 6 when I first went, so I've been indoctrinated since a very young age. Then, I remembered my wife. She was 30 before I got to take her on her very first trip to the Happiest Place on Earth. She'd never really even wanted to go. She was under the misguided notion that it was more like a big amusement park (not unlike parts of CA Adventure, now that I stop to think about it). I'm happy to say that she was quickly hooked and has not looked back!

So, what is it? I wonder about the mix of childhood nostalgia of stories and fairy tales, blended with music of Disney and other mass media movies (Disney knows how to make music work to tug at our hearts,right?), and something more....What is that something more? I guess THAT is the magic. I think most of us want to believe in magic, believe in the goodness of human beings, want to suspend disbelief long enough to imagine we're flying through space or hanging out with swash-buckling pirates, or that a walk down Main Street really will put our minds at ease.

The wonderful people behind all of the magic have worked hard decade after decade to bring to reality something that is as close to perfect as we are likly to get amongst so many humans. That doesn't mean it is perfect - rides break down, people get hurt, people get cranky, people throw their trash on the ground...but due to the extreme efforts, we still see the human desire of perfection around every corner, and that in itself, is close enough to perfect.

During our then 4-year-old son's first trip to Disneyland, on our first morning waking up at the Paradise Pier Hotel, he got himself dressed, brushed his teeth, and brought us breakfast in bed (Pop Tarts and juice) before the rest of the family was even up. If I'd ever doubted it before, here was living proof of the magic of Disney. Yes, it really is the Happiest Place on Earth, and at ages 1 and 4, Disneyland is already a part of our children's souls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved your post! it just resides in our blood everything you say is bob on, the music tugging at our hearts, I just dont know what it is?! watching the fireworks all synchronized to music is fantastic, they just go the extra mile to make you live for a while inside a perfect dream :-)

New car or trip to disney? hmmmm!