Monday, July 23, 2007

The Disney Magic

I know there are adults out there who have never been to Disneyland. There are some who probably never should go, or do not enjoy going. This post, in fact, this entire blog, is not for them. You are much more likely to enjoy my writing if you still believe, even just a little, in wishes coming true, in fairy dust, in grim grinning ghosts, in rocketing through outer space, in jovial pirates, in the child that still lives in you.

There is nothing quite like the excitement of walking through the gates of Disneyland, spotting the steam engine on the railroad tracks high above you and hearing the conductor shout "All Aboard" as you walk under the tracks and into the magic of Mainstreet U.S.A. I can literally feel the stress of daily life rolling off of my shoulders and the lightness of a Barbershop quartet tune filling my soul. A smile spreads across my face and I am in the land of Disney. Sure, I get that around every corner a specific experience has been manufactured for me, that what I am witnessing is not reality, and for that, I am grateful and willingly hand over my hard-earned money to be a part of the experience. I want to immerse myself in the fantasy and help my children do the same. Judging from the crowds, I'm not the only one!

9 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

I've never been to Disneyland but i've been to Disneyworld so I can relate to the magical walking throught the gate effect!

Dakota said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dakota said...

Patti_Cake -
You will have to tell me more about Disneyworld. I understand the experiences are so different. I am totaly intrigued by basically a Disney city. Is that what DW feels like? At DL you can actually walk everywhere - both parks, the three hotels and the shopping district. There are hundreds of off-site hotels/motels either within walking or easy shuttle distance. What is it like to have to use transportation to get everywhere? Lots of lines and waiting?

Audra said...

I've been to disneyworld when I was three- I don't remember a single thing about it!

I've been to Disneyland once and that was about a year ago. Now that I live in Orange Co. I am DYING to go back!!!

Dakota said...

Audra - You will LOVE it! Keep me bookmarked as I will be write about tips, money-saving ideas, and fun stories.

Anonymous said...

I have to tell my neighbor about your blog. She and her family are planning a trip for this coming March. My husband and I are also thinking about taking our kids soon to DW.

I have been to DW and Euro Disney! I love. love. love DW but Euro D was just okay. Actually I wouldn't ever spend the money to go back. But, it was an adventure.

I think writing about your ideas ect. is great. There needs to be some sites out there from the parents view of what worked and what didn't. Where I live (chicago burbs) Disney is HUGE. Everyone goes and a lot. It's a bit of a status thing here. But boy a blog to read about what to do and where to go would be helpful! Anyhow- I shall keep up with you and your writings. Sounds like fun stuff. And, life should be about fun!

Heidi (Reader of Casey's blog)

Dakota said...

Heidi-
You've got that right! Life should be more about fun! Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Gosh everything here makes sense, I was thinking about it the other day...my day to day life is creative based work and it requires a lot of heart and imagination, and its a strain....but going to disneyland...its like living within a dream, inside a fantasy, everything is right and well here, i dont need to worry about ANYTHING all my needs are taken care of and there is PLEANTY of things to keep my eyes occupied, tiny details disney put into things to make it special..goosebumps a pleanty!

I think im a disneyfreak!

Dakota said...

MWAYBOB- Welcome to the club. I'm happy to feel secure in the fact we do not need a DisneyFreek Anonymous Group. It's a reasonably healthy obsession :)