Friday, July 13, 2007

I Need a Disneyland Vacation Now!

Who doesn't , right?

Welcome to my new blog! About 2-3 years ago I had a what I hope was a really useful website that was a guide to planning a perfect Disneyland vacation for your family. I'd researched a lot, put together great information about Disneyland, about entertaining families, and about including families in vacation planning. To supplement this, I had an ebook that was in its testing stages. I had good traffic and the responses to my ebook were really positive. Then a funny thing happened - I started law school. At that point, all my extracurricular activities ceased. Not hard to imagine since I have a wife, two small children and was still working full time. I closed the website, put the pdf on the mythical "back burner," and went on with my life.

We live in the Pacific Northwest and do not get to Disneyland nearly as often as we'd like. As a special treat, after the first year of law school, we took the kids, and ourselves, to Disneyland. It was magical - spectacular - just as I'd remembered from the days before children. It was so magical, that we went again that same summer - just last year. Talk about blowing the budget! We learned so much that summer that I realized I could make the book I'd written so much better. The book, as it read, had lots of tips and facts, and a playful tone, but it lacked a certain something. I wasn't sure what it was until I recently pulled it out again, thinking it was time to revise and get it into reader's hands, or at least, on their computer monitors.

What it needed was heart, and candor, and confessions from a real family who, though they were having the time of their lives, sometimes wondered how they could ditch their 1 and 4 year olds and have some real fun. I am in the process of rewriting, but I thought what might really help my process, as well as provide me with feedback, is a blog that I could start sharing stories through and seeing how others respond.

So, that's my story, or at least, the start of it. Please stay tuned, and feel free to post comments about this topic at any time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello I read your article or your format of a book and I loved it. I recently went to Disneyland about a year ago with my two girlfriends, I had literally the time of my life. I could not stand being away, as sad as that is, that 3 months later I booked a trip with my sister for this September. We are both so excited and I can not wait to go. I think I am obsessed, which I think can be possible. I have done so much research I bought a book that is just filled with tips, guides, maps, ideas and it is so useful I feel like I am well prepared. I don't know about going with kids, because i dont have any, but with out them is just as fun. I think everyone should go it really is magical and for that time your there it makes your dreams come to life. the book I have, I got at borders book store, also, I got a free DVD planning thing from Disney, for the year of a million dreams, which is when I'm going. it is so cool, ti goes into all the parks and what to do and what rides to go. I would recommend getting both of those there cool to learn more but to also remember what it was like when you went before, but be careful you might start to plan your next trip, like me. :)