Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Laptop on Vacation?

Last time we went to Disneyland, we knew we would be taking a ton of digital photos. How to store them all? We could have bought another card - or three - or - just brought along the laptop to download them onto after each day. That is exactly what we did! That way, at the end of each day, we knew our pictures were safe, so just in case the camera was lost, at least we would still have most of our pictures.

It was nice to have the laptop, too. My Wife was able to update her blog, and send off a few emails. We also had it as a backup for watching DVD's. With laptops becoming lighter all the time, and so many of us being so attached to them, I wonder how many others are toting their computer with them on vacation?

While I see and enjoyed the advantages myself, this could be a danger because it may let too much of the "real world" seep in on your Disneyland vacation. I don't think Walt would have approved! Disneyland is an escape - a perfect world - not sure my laptop belongs there!

2 comments:

Audra said...

I always bring mine on vacation, helps cure boredom in the car, and gives me something to do on those nights I am sitting bored in a hotel room!

And great idea about the photos! I've read so many horror stories of people that have lost their cameras on the last day with no backups- eep!

I read another good tip is to put your address and name on your camera card. Worst case? if it's stolen maybe they will mail it?

I've also heard people putting a sticker on their camera typed on the computer stating "this camera carries a tracking device. If found it will be traced and the person in possession will be prosecuted" One person had it "Stolen" and it was returned to city hall!

Dakota said...

Audra - thanks for the additional tips. Somehow identifying your camera and/or the card seems like a good idea. I'd like to think if I lost it, rather than it being stolen, it would find its way to City Hall.

Have heard that, similar to luggage, best to put a work address so strangers don't have easy access to both your name and home address.